Following on from my Mars bar cornflake flapjack recipe comes this beauty.
I’ve slightly adapted the flapjack recipe to include snickers bars instead of mars bars and then added a layer of caramel and salted peanuts, finished off with some milk chocolate with a caramel and peanut butter drizzle. Ooof! Heaven for me as I looooovvvveee snickers and anything caramel.
Ingredients – serves 9
For the flapjacks –
9 full size snickers bars, chopped
75g unsalted butter, room temperature
50g golden syrup
For the caramel –
175g unsalted butter, room temperature
60ml golden syrup
50g light brown sugar
1 tin of condensed milk (397g)
40g salted peanuts
For the topping –
250g milk chocolate
25g smooth Peanut butter
Handful of salted peanuts
1. Line a 9×9 square tin with foil or some greaseproof paper.
2. In a saucepan (preferably a heavy bottom saucepan) add the chopped Snickers bars, butter and golden syrup and heat on a low heat, stirring continuously until the Snickers bars have melted and all the ingredients are well combined.
3. In a large bowl, add the cornflakes and then pour the chocolate mixture over the top and mix well, making sure all the cornflakes are well coated but be gently as you don’t want to crush the cornflakes too much.
4. Transfer the mix to the tin and using a spatula or spoon, gently spread the mixture out into the tin and press down gently to make sure everything is compact. Again be careful not to crush the cornflakes too much.
5. Leave to chill in the fridge for 15 mins.
6. In a saucepan (preferably a heavy bottomed saucepan) add the butter, sugar, golden syrup and condensed milk.
6. On a low heat, melt together the ingredients, stirring continuously to make sure nothing burns and sticks to the bottom or sides of the pan, until the sugar has dissolved and the butter is melted completely.
7. Turn the heat up to medium so the mixture is slightly bubbling and continuously stir for around 5-8 minutes until the caramel goes a darker brown colour and becomes thick and slightly fudgy in texture.
8. Pour the caramel over the chilled flapjacks and make sure it’s spread out evenly. Use a spatula or spoon to leave it out being careful as the caramel will be very hot.
9. Sprinkle over the peanuts and leave to cool. I like to chill mine in the fridge for an hr once the caramel as cooled.
10. Once chilled, break up the chocolate and add to a heatproof bowl. Melt in the microwave for around 40 seconds and then pour all over the peanuts and caramel.
11. Level out the chocolate using a spoon of spatula making sure all of the caramel is covered in an even layer of chocolate.
12. Sprinkle some peanuts over the top and then put the caramel and peanut butter in two separate bowls and heat gently for 20 seconds.
13. Use a teaspoon to drizzle some peanut butter and caramel over the chocolate and then leave to set in the fridge until the chocolate has firmed up.
14. Cut into squares and serve.